We do a lot to protect ourselves and the people we love.
We take out health insurance. We research the safest cars. We install home security.
But many of us overlook the one thing attacking us day in and day out, in our very own homes: EMF radiation.
EMF—electromagnetic field—radiation can leave us feeling drained and lethargic, anxious, depressed, and has been clinically linked to certain life-threatening cancers. But—for those of us who know what EMF radiation is—protecting our family can seem time-consuming, complicated, and costly.
||1. YSHIELD®EMF Shielding Paint HSF54
|2. BlocPaint™ EMF WiFi RF Blocking Paint
|3. YSHIELD® Shielding Paint HSF64
|4. YSHIELD®EMF Shielding Paint PRO54
EMF paint—one of the most effective methods of EMF shielding your home—is definitely an investment. So before you spend your hard-earned money on a product that may or may not work, I’ve done it for you. In this article, I’m showing you my top 4 picks for the best EMF paint of 2020. And yes, there is definitely a winner.
Our Best EMF Paint Reviews and Comparisons
1. BlocPaint™ EMF WiFi RF Blocking Paint
First up on our list is one of the most popular EMF shielding paints on the market. BlocPaint’s proprietary EMF WiFi RF Blocking paint is a water-based carbon paint that delivers effective protection and around 37 sq/m of coverage per 5L can.
- Maintains its effectiveness up to 6GHz
- Suitable for blocking hi band WiFi signals
- 99.9% shielding power against GSM and 3G cell phone radiation, DECT cordless phones, WiFi signals, and Smart Meters
- Low corrosion carbon-based paint
- Black color
What We Like About BlocPaint™ EMF Paint
BlocPaint’s offering to the EMF shielding paint scene is a high-performing grounding paint, so it delivers strong value for money and a solid performance against everyday EMF-emitting devices in a digital world. It effectively blocked out most of the wireless networks in our neighborhood and tested strongly when we tried to pick up nearby Smart meters and DECT signals.
Overall, BlocPaint has created a strong competitor in the EMF paint arena, at a slightly more reasonable price point than some of the forerunners in the industry.
What We Don’t Like About BlocPaint™ EMF Paint
A large room in my home required 2 to 3 coats of BlocPaint EMF Paint to reach an acceptable level of protection, which means a total paint requirement of 7.5 buckets. Even with BlocPaint’s accessible price tag, the costs can escalate considerably.
Having said that, this stuff is highly effective with 2 or 3 coats applied, so my suggestion is to budget accordingly, and not to skimp by applying a single (and therefore not so effective) coat.
- Extremely effective and blocking the full range of EMF culprits in my neighborhood—from standard GSM signals to hi band WiFi
- Paint dries slowly to allow for easy cleanup
- Non-invasive smell and smooth finish
- Independently tested to maintain high standards
- Designed and manufactured in the UK
- Easy to paint over with standard house paint for a smooth, professional finish inside and out
- Requires 2-3 coats
- Not a con, per se, but it’s worth keeping in mind that no EMF shielding paint will be 100% effective if your non-painted surfaces—eg. Windows and glass doors—are untreated.
2. YSHIELD®EMF Shielding Paint HSF54
YSHIELD is one of the leading manufacturers in EMF shielding paint—and with good reason. This paint delivers top shielding results against RF radiation, low-frequency fields, and an attenuation of 39dB from a single layer. Add to that a high level of water resistance and superior adhesion on most surfaces—like latex, MDF, concrete, polystyrene, and stone—and you’ve got a star performer on the EMF paint platform.
- Up to 39dB (99.98% effectiveness) in one coat
- Low emission
- Corrosion-resistant and non-oxidizing
- Effective against RF radiation, microwave, and high band WiFi signals
- Black color
What We Like About YSHIELD®EMF Shielding Paint HSF54
Straight out of the can, this is a premium, smooth, thick paint. It delivered strong adhesion on concrete, brick, and over latex paint, without odor or VOCs.
Another advantage of YSHIELD’s HSF54 paint is its effectiveness with one coat, which allows you to cover more area at less expense. I managed to cover one standard bedroom with one can—and one coat. By investing in conductive grounding tape (which is an additional purchase, to be fair) the YSHIELD EMF paint line is easily one of the most powerful for countering EMF radiation.
What We Don’t Like About YSHIELD®EMF Shielding Paint HSF54
This isn’t an issue specific to YSHIELD products, but since I stumbled across this issue while testing YSHIELD HSF54, I’ll mention it here.
Grounding is typically recommended by the YSHIELD brand for maximizing EMF shielding performance—but it’s not recommended in all situations. I suggest doing your research before investing in the additional YSHIELD Ground Connection set. If your home—like mine—requires grounding, it’s worth being aware that some electrical inspectors won’t approve a product that isn’t UL or CSA listed.
- No odors
- Extremely effective at eliminating neighbors’ 5G WiFi signals—and likewise, protecting your own WiFi signal from hacking
- No metal particulate means no corrosion, no rusting, and no staining
- Excellent coverage: 1 liter delivers up to 81 sq. feet of coverage (interior) and 54 sq. feet (exterior)
- Loses effectiveness if you don’t follow the drying time closely. Always wait the full time recommended by the manufacturer before applying another coat.
- Not 100% effective at eliminating Gauss readings (although I experienced a massive drop from 15-16 to 2-4)
3. YSHIELD® Shielding Paint HSF64
Another premium YSHIELD brand offering, HSF64 delivers protection against 4G and 5G signals, high band WiFi, Smart meters, and low-frequency electric fields thrown off by electrical wiring.
HSF64 is ultra-effective, breathable, low-emission, and non-corroding for long-lasting EMF shielding for your family and your home.
- Solvent- and plasticizer-free
- Low emission
- Strong shielding attenuation across a large frequency range (600 MHz to 40 GHz)
- Potassium silicate paint delivers pro adhesion on almost any substrate
- Top performance as a primer under plastic bonded emulsion paints for interior
- Black color
What We Like About YSHIELD® Shielding Paint HSF64
YSHIELD gives us a preservative-free home protection solution with their HSF64 EMF shielding paint. Simple to apply with a roller, easy adhesion, and this one is recommended by painters, too. As with any EMF shielding paint, don’t try applying this via spray gun—it needs to go on in one thick paint layer.
One of the best-selling points with the HSF64 paint is its high level of corrosion resistance. As a carbon-based, metal-free paint, it won’t rust, corrode, or oxidize over time—even in bathrooms and damp areas.
As an added bonus, YSHIELD paints are monitored by TUV-SUD to ensure quality.
What We Don’t Like About YSHIELD® Shielding Paint HSF64
Not necessarily a negative, but if you’re looking for an all-rounder for the interior and exterior of your home, go with the YSHIELD HSF54. Although the HSF64 delivers protection at a higher frequency (up to 80dB vs HSF54’s 67dB) it isn’t suitable for some exterior applications.
- No graphene, no metal particulate, and a minimalistic formula
- Effective at up to 80dB
- Easy to handle and apply, and effective in as little as one coat (up to 32dB). For maximum attenuation, 3 coats deliver up to 48dB of shielding attenuation.
- Permanently non-corrosive, even in damp areas of the home
- Future-proof: HSF64 is performance-proven at up to 40GHz
- The adhesive on emulsion paints, wallpapers, cement, plaster, wood, glass, and plastic
- Only suitable for interior use
- Must be grounded. YSHIELD recommends their own YSHIELD GW or GB plate and YSHIELD EB1 or EB2 grounding straps—at additional cost.
- 12-month shelf life due to lack of preservative ingredients
4. YSHIELD®EMF Shielding Paint PRO54
PRO54 offers all the benefits of its HSF54 predecessor but goes a step further. You’ll enjoy YSHIELD’s top results in shielding against EMF radiation from radio frequencies and low-frequency fields, excellent adhesion over latex paint, masonry, wood, polystyrene, and glass—and superior water- and corrosion-resistance.
You’ll also get the benefits of maximum durability and professional interior and exterior abrasion resistance—meaning this stuff can take a beating physically as it defends your home against a large range of frequencies.
- Shields up to 40GHz (99.98% effectiveness) in one coat
- Non-oxidizing, superior stability, corrosion-resistant
- Low emission and low odor
- Professional quality coverage (using a paint roller)
- Multi-purpose: safe for use indoors and outdoors
- Extensive frequency range: FR1 (600 MHz to 6 GHz) and FR2 (23 GHz to 40 GHz)
- Untreated natural graphite—graphene free
What We Like About YSHIELD®EMF Shielding Paint PRO54
What’s not to like? The PRO54 offers everything I appreciate in the HSF54 product, but with improved resilience, a smoother finish, and long-term durability against corrosion, dampness, and oxidation.
If you need a refresher, here are some of the benefits I expect (and receive) from a top-performing YSHIELD product:
- Paint goes on thick and strong to deliver exceptional protection in one coat—without odors or VOCs
- Superior coverage from one can
- Easy to apply
- Significantly reduces EMF radiation
- Consistent TUV-SUD certification and monitoring to ensure quality
- Environmentally friendlier—doesn’t use graphene
YSHIELD has gone a step further with the PRO54 product, too: no discoloration. Graphite-based paints typically stain black under your chosen wall paint, which can be a nightmare if you’re painting your house a fresh, vibrant white. This can be seen as grey stripes coming through over a period of time, as oxidation of the top layers, and as a more muted, muddy stain.
What We Don’t Like About YSHIELD®EMF Shielding Paint PRO54
Much like HSF54, this paint requires grounding—which means you’ll need to fork out a little more of your hard-earned cash to buy YSHIELD’s recommended grounding plate and strap.
For reference, the manufacturer recommends grounding strap EB2 and grounding plate GW for interior use. For exterior use, they recommend the AF3 fiber additive and GE grounding plate.
- Reduced chance of color leaching and discoloration. Apply a white latex paint over PRO54 with less chance of grey striping or muddying.
- Top performance against 5G signals and great at eliminating interference from your neighbors’ WiFi and cell phones
- Easy to create a ‘dark’ room with no interference or EMF radiation
- Good coverage means good value for money
- Special mention: YSHIELD chooses not to use the nanomaterial graphene. Graphene is currently untested for its impact on human health.
- Longer drying time—all rooms painted with PRO54 need to be empty for 7 days.
- Can lose effectiveness if you don’t adhere to the recommended drying times (I followed the 7-day rule and had no issues with performance)
EMF Paint FAQs
How does EMF shielding paint actually work?
EMF shielding paint repels the signals that electronic devices emit. They act as physical blocking agents—much like a screen or curtain. Typically, EMF shielding paints use metal particulate or carbon (or a proprietary shielding blend) to ward off invasive frequencies.
Do EMF shielding paints block all frequencies?
EMF paints block certain frequencies, dependent on the manufacturer. A high-value EMF shielding paint should block low-level frequencies (under 300Hz) and high-level frequencies (look for an MHz and GHz range) in order to be effective. If your chosen paint is effective in those ranges, you can protect your home from all types of EMF radiation.
I painted my walls but there are still WiFi signals coming through. Did I buy bad paint?
Not necessarily. In order for your EMF shielding efforts to be effective, we need to ensure we are covering all our bases. Some EMF shielding paints require grounding—an added cost. Some require more than one coat. Window coverings, doors, floors, and ceilings can also allow EMF radiation into a room in your home.
Will EMF shielding paint stop my WiFi from working?
It could. If your paint is effective at blocking your WiFi frequency, and you paint every individual room, your WiFi signal will not be able to penetrate the paint—so the signal won’t be picked up in any room other than where your router is located.
If that’s the case, consider going with a wired network or painting only the exterior of your home.
Will EMF shielding paint stop my cordless phone from working?
Again, it could. If we consider the answer given above, if your paint is effective at blocking DECT frequencies, you’ll only be able to use it in the room that houses the docking unit.
How should I choose an EMF shielding paint?
If you need more information than I’ve provided here, look for an EMF shielding test report on your shortlisted paints. These are readily available from reputable EMF shielding paint manufacturers.
What is the shelf life of EMF shielding paint?
It depends. Preservative-free EMF paints have a shorter lifespan than those containing preservatives. The preservative-free paint that made the cut in this review (YSHIELD EMF Paint HSF64) has a 12-month shelf life. Once opened, most paints should be used within 4 weeks.
Can I paint over EMF shielding paint?
Yes, you can … and you probably should. EMF shielding paints are black, but they can act as a substrate or primer for standard paint. Many EMF shielding paints are suitable for outdoor use, too, provided you use the proper preparation substrate and paint types. Always check with the manufacturer to get the best out of your chosen EMF shielding paint.
What else will I need to make sure my EMF shielding paint works properly?
Generally speaking, you can use EMF shielding paint as is. Where your paint manufacturer recommends grounding, they may suggest a specific brand of:
- Grounding plate
- Grounding tape
Depending on your needs, you may also want to consider the many types of EMF shielding products on the market:
- EMF shielding bed canopies
- EMF shielding curtains or blinds
- EMF laptop shields
- EMF blankets
- EMF mobile device cases
To properly measure EMF radiation levels in your home and environment, you may want to invest in an EMF meter, like the highly-rated KII EMF Meter Deluxe Black.
If you’re left puffy-eyed and bleary-minded first thing in the morning, you might be suffering from EMF radiation. Clinically linked to everything from poor sleep hygiene to anxiety and life-threatening diseases, EMF radiation can hurt you and your family without you even knowing.
Eliminate the risk with a coat or two of our best EMF paint for 2020, for peace of mind and improved health. Which one is best?
The Winner Is…
YSHIELD®EMF Shielding Paint HSF54
Offering broad-spectrum protection against radio frequencies and low-frequency fields in one coat, and delivering premium-level corrosion- and water-resistance, YSHIELD’s HSF54 provides professional-quality EMF shielding for your home.
For all-around performance and effective EMF shielding for the interior and exterior of your home, YSHIELD has delivered our best EMF paint for 2020 with ease.
What EMF shielding paint will you be choosing? Tell me about it in the comments below!