Top 7 Anti Radiation Plants
Radiation can be a scary topic – the word alone instantly summons up gruesome notions of death and destruction from an invisible and unstoppable force. But despite the strong images and sentiments the subject of radiation can elicit, we as a society have a surprisingly vague understanding of what exactly radiation is.
Radiation is All Around Us – And Plants May Be Able to Help
Radiation is all around us and flows through everything. There has been a lot of talk about the possible effects of radiation and ways to mitigate it. Some believe that plants might be the answer – if true, it could be a great natural solution.
What Exactly is Radiation?
Radiation is a very broad term that describes an invisible electromagnetic energy wave. These waves are produced when electrons – the smallest part of an atom – move around and generate energy. The waves can travel at different speeds, all of which make up the electromagnetic spectrum. You’ve probably seen a picture of the electromagnetic spectrum before; it includes microwaves, radio waves, infrared and ultraviolet light (UV, i.e. the cause of sunburn), x-rays, and gamma rays (think, The Hulk). It also includes a very, very small section of “visible wavelengths”, or in other words, all the colors we can see.
Both humans and plants can “absorb” all of these, but there are some theories that certain plants can actually retain certain types of radiation, leaving less in the general environment.
How Do Plants Help with Radiation?
You might have heard of EMFs, or electromagnetic fields – basically just another term for the radiation we described above. The two main categories of radiation, or EMFs, are ionizing (or high frequency EMFs) and non-ionizing (or low frequency EMFs).
Ionizing radiation/high frequency EMFs includes some UV light, X-rays, and Gamma rays. These waves have the potential to damage your cells and the DNA inside them. The good news about ionizing radiation is that, aside from the rays of the sun, you are unlikely to encounter it often enough in your daily life for it to have any impact on your health. Plants can absorb some of this ionizing radiation – sunlight for example. They convert it into sugars and food, so it may not be completely out of the realm of possibility to think that they can do something similar with other types of radiation. Trees add another layer of protection too – their leaves can help block ultra violet radiation as it penetrates the atmosphere.
Non-ionizing radiation/low-frequency EMFs comprise the other 2/3 of the electromagnetic spectrum. There are both manmade and natural sources of low-frequency EMFs, including the radio waves, Wi-Fi, and the Earth’s own magnetic field.
Within the low-frequency EMF range is another subcategory called the extremely low frequency EMFs, or ELF-EMFs. These are generated from things like powerlines and electrical appliances. This is the radiation that has some people concerned. Some speculate that certain plants – particularly succulents and cacti – can absorb some extremely low frequency EMF emissions.
Plants That Absorb Radiation
Aside from the obvious benefits of adding green to your space and increasing the oxygen levels, a lot of these plants also happen to be easy to care for. They do well indoors and in smaller pots, making them ideal for office spaces and desks – right where they’re needed! Here is a list of 7 plants thought to help reduce the ELF-EMFs in your environment:
|EDITOR’S CHOICE||1. The Betel Leaf Plant||Check Price|
|RUNNER UP||2. Cacti and Succulents||Check Price|
|3. The Snake or Airplane Plant||Check Price|
|4. The Aloe Vera Plant||Check Price|
|5. The Spider Plant||Check Price|
|6. The Stone Lotus Flower||Check Price|
|7. The Narcissus Plant||Check Price|
Common particularly in parts of south Asia, the betel leaf is a vine plant whose concentrated extract has shown promise in protecting DNA from ionizing radiation. Researchers in India conducted a study that found that betel protects the DNA by lowering the amount of breakage, and thereby reducing the amount of damage to the DNA.
Cacti and succulents have become increasingly popular because they’re cute and very simple to take care of. As it turns out, they have other benefits as well. Both cacti and succulents are hardy plants that thrive in almost any environment. Researchers at NASA discovered that these plants are great for absorbing certain types of EMF radiation.
They won’t necessarily be as helpful in absorbing radiation from your computer since EMF radiation emits in a straight line. However, they are great for absorbing radiation that could be ricocheting around your room or being emitted from nearby cell towers.
- HAND SELECTED: Every pack of succulents we send is hand-picked. You will receive a unique collection of species that are FULLY ROOTED IN 2 INCH POTS, which will be similar to the product photos (see photo 2 for scale). Note that we rotate our nursery stock often, so the exact species we send changes every week.
- THE EASIEST HOUSE PLANTS: More appealing than artificial plastic or fake faux plants, and care is a cinch. If you think you can't keep houseplants alive, you're wrong; our succulents don't require fertilizer and can be planted in a decorative pot of your choice within seconds.
- DIY HOME DECOR: The possibilities are only limited by your imagination; display them in a plant holder, a wall mount, a geometric glass vase, or even in a live wreath. Because of their amazingly low care requirements, they can even make the perfect desk centerpiece for your office.
- UNIQUE GIFTS: Everyone loves receiving succulents as a gift, from children to grandma and grandpa. Our succulents are sure to please as a wedding gift, a gift for mom or dad, or a gift for a favorite teacher.
- HEALTHY LIVE ARRIVAL GUARANTEED: Your succulents will arrive alive and healthy. Each order comes with the Plants For Pets 30-day guarantee, and our promise to you that you'll love your new plants or receive a full refund.
It’s fortunate that Sansevieria, or the “snake” or “airplane” plant is frequently seen adorning office spaces—because they are great for absorbing EMF radiation from computers.
You might see these plants in large pots where they can flourish and grow tall, but they can also be put in smaller pots for the desk.
- Winter shipping notice: our guarantee is to ship quality plants; each plant is inspected and approved for shipping before being packaged. If your area is experiencing extreme winter weather temperatures we recommend waiting to buy until freezing weather has passed. If you have received a frozen plant please contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- EASY CARE! Water when top inch of soil feels dry, water once a week, allow water to drain. Never allow the soil to become saturated.
- LIGHT: Tolerates low, medium and bright light. Can grow in any room in your home, or office.
- SHIPS IN GROWER POT: Ships planted, fully-grown, in an 8.75-inch black growers pot. Change the look by inserting the grower pot into a decorator basket or planter. These lush plants are grown by the horticultural experts at Costa Farms.
- ENJOY LIVING HOME DÉCOR: Adds life and design to your home, porch, or office. Height at shipping ranges from 24 to 33in tall - measured from bottom of pot to top of plant. Keep this plant for yourself or give as a gift!
Succulents such as Aloe Vera are already known for their robust growth in austere environments as well as their healing properties. Aloe is a well-known remedy for sunburns caused by ultra violet radiation, so it may not be too much of a stretch to suggest it has other radiation-curing uses.
- INCLUDED IN PURCHASE | (3) Mature Aloe Vera plants. Each plant may vary from pictures shown as succulents are hand selected based on season, size, health, and readiness.
- WATERING NEEDS | Water your Aloe vera every 2-4 weeks. Don't over water. If Aloe begins to smell, then it's rotting. Dark, transparent spots or crimping at the base of the leaves are also signs of too much water.
- FERTILIZING NEEDS | Fertilize Aloe plants once a month from Spring until late Autumn.
- SOIL | SUN | POTTING | Needs bright light - do best in south- or west-facing windows. Needs soil that drains, so regular potting soil or dirt won't do. Choose cactus soil or mix potting soil with sand, pumice, or perlite.
- HEALTH GUARANTEE | We strive to provide the highest quality plants delivered. 30-day Health Guarantee. If plants arrive damaged or unhealthy, we will issue a full refund or replace your plant.
Most commonly known as the “spider plant,” Chlorophytumcomosum already has been shown to absorb large quantities of pollution and cleanse a space of toxic gases.
Spider plants are able to metabolize noxious gases such as Aldehyde formic acid and convert them into ammonia and sugar. In addition to pollution, spider plants are also believed to be effective at absorbing radiation from computers.
- INCLUDED IN PURCHASE | (1) Curly Spider Plant in 4" Pot. Each plant may vary from pictures shown as succulents are hand selected based on season, size, health, and readiness.
- WATERING | Water when soil is dry. Keep soil evenly moist - not dry, but not too wet. Keep your spider plant somewhat dryer over the winter and only give more water in the spring.
- FERTILIZING NEEDS | Fertilize sparingly as over fertilization can cause tips to brown. There is no specific fertilizer for spider plants. Any all-purpose fertilizer for houseplants is acceptable.
- SUN | SOIL | POTTING | Thrives in bright warm spot indoors (65-77 degrees Fahrenheit) but preferably out of direct sunlight and preferably not below 50 degrees.
- HEALTH GURANTEE | We strive to provide the highest quality plants delivered. 30-day Health Guarantee. If plants arrive damaged or unhealthy, we will issue a full refund or replace your plant.
This is the perfect desk plant – it’s small, adorable, and a great producer of essential oils as well a powerful air purifier.
Its air purifying properties are why many people also believe it is effective for absorbing radiation in the air, whether from ambient radiation bouncing off your walls or the type being emitted by computers and other electronic devices.
- Stone Lotus Seeds Ech Runyonii San CarlosTam Flower Seeds More Meat, Lotus Seeds
Aptly named for its beautiful flowers, the Narcissus is also very efficient at converting ionizing UV radiation into plant food. This means you get the best of both worlds with a beautiful decoration that also promotes greater health.
- Each mix is unique and promises to provide the bright cheery spring colors everyone loves so much!
- Narcissus are easy to grow in well-drained soil in full sun to partial shade and are well known to be deer resistant!
- 12"-16" Tall
- Zone 2-10
- Plant in the fall or early winter for spring flowers!
Radiation Absorbing Plants Video
Here is a video talking about other benefits of anti radiation plants:
If you are interested in other ways to detoxify yourself, check out these great low-emf infrared saunas that will help you sweat without all the extra radiation.