Are you considering moving to a home that is near a solar farm? Solar farms are becoming more and more popular across the United States. However, many people are not aware of the health risks associated with living near these facilities.
In this blog post, we will discuss some of the human health risks that have been linked to solar farms. We will also provide tips for reducing your exposure to these health risks living near solar farm structures.
What is a Solar Farm?
A solar farm is a large-scale solar power plant. These plants use photovoltaic (PV) panels to convert sunlight into usable electricity. Solar facilities can be used to generate power for homes, businesses, or the entire adjacent community.
Solar farms are becoming more and more common as the cost of solar technology continues to drop. In the United States, there are now more than 20,000 solar farms in operation. Solar farms can be found all over the world and they are becoming an important part of the renewable energy landscape.
Solar farms offer a number of benefits. They help reduce greenhouse gas emissions, they provide jobs and economic development opportunities, and they increase grid stability. Solar farms also offer a hedge against rising energy prices and provide a source of energy that is clean and renewable.
There are some drawbacks to solar farms that need to be considered, though. They can take up a lot of space, they require a significant upfront investment, and they can have an impact on the environment. Solar farms also pose certain health risks to those living near them.
What are the Health Risks Living Near Solar Farms?
There is a lot of debate over the health risks associated with living near solar farms. Some people claim that there are no health risks or adverse effects, while others believe that there are several potential health risks.
According to the World Health Organization, there is a health risk of electromagnetic hypersensitivity associated with living near solar farms. This condition is characterized by a range of symptoms that are triggered by exposure to electromagnetic radiation fields. These symptoms can include headaches, fatigue, skin rashes, and sleep disturbances.
It is a condition caused by exposure to electromagnetic fields (EMF) near the solar farms. There are a few studies that have looked at the health risks associated with living near solar farms.
A study in Australia found that people who live near solar farms are more likely to experience headaches, dizziness, and nausea. There could also be an increased risk of cancer in people living near solar farms.
Some studies have shown that exposure to high-frequency radiation from solar farms can increase the risk of cancer but more research is needed to determine if there is a real link between solar farms and cancer.
Additional research is also needed to understand the potential health risks of living near solar farms and to provide definitive proof that solar farms cause health problems.
Reducing Your Exposure to Solar Farm Health Risks
If you are concerned about the health risks, you can talk to your doctor about the possibility of having EMF exposure testing done. This can help you determine if you are sensitive to EMF exposure and if you need to take steps to reduce your exposure to safe levels.
There are some things you can do to reduce your exposure to the potential health risks of living near a solar farm. These include:
- Installing an EMF shield on your home: EMF shields are devices that can be installed on your home to reduce the amount of EMF levels and high or low-frequency radiation you are exposed to. You can also wear EMF protection clothing.
- Moving away from solar farms: If you live near a solar farm, you may want to consider moving away from the facility. While this is not always possible, it may be the best option if you are concerned about the potential health risks.
- Educating yourself about the risks: It is important to educate yourself about the potential risks of living near solar farms. This will help you make an informed decision about whether or not you want to live near one of these facilities. You can also ask your local government for information on the solar farms in your area if you have solar farm concerns. This can help you understand the size and location of the solar farms near you.
Pros of Living Near a Solar Farm
There are many pros to living near a solar farm, which include:
- Lower electricity prices: Since the solar farm will be providing most, if not all, of your home’s energy needs, your monthly bill will be much lower than it would be otherwise. This added savings from affordable electricity can really add up over time.
- Renewable energy production: Having a renewable form of energy source close by is another benefit. Solar farms are great for the environment and it’s always good to have a renewable and reliable energy source close by in case of energy surges, power interruptions, and outages.
- Creating jobs in the area: Solar farms create many clean energy jobs in the area, from construction to maintenance. This has a positive impact on the local economy.
- Reducing your carbon footprint: Solar farms produce little-to-no emissions, which means that you’re doing your part to reduce your carbon footprint.
Cons of Living Near a Solar Farm
Other than the health risks associated with living near a solar farm, there are other negative effects which include:
- Noise and light pollution: The solar panels can be disruptive, particularly at night. The panels emit a humming noise, which some people find annoying, and the bright lights can keep people up at night.
- Negative impact on local wildlife and ecosystems: They can disrupt the natural habitat and the panels can kill insects and other small creatures as a result of the solar radiation.
- Solar farms may not be aesthetically pleasing: They can cause quite large and unsightly acres of land. If you have aesthetic concerns about the visual impact, it may not be ideal for you.
- Property value: Since some people believe that solar farms are not aesthetically pleasing, they can decrease the property prices around it.
Although the health risks living near solar farm are still being studied, it is important to be aware of them and take steps to minimize your exposure.
If you do live near a solar farm, there are some things you can do to reduce your risk, such as keeping your windows closed and using an air conditioner. Considering the many benefits of solar energy systems, it is likely that more and more people will be living near solar farms in the future.